The best cheap shoes will significantly improve your stability, support, grip, and comfort level. If you want to improve your game, you should buy the right basketball shoes. Here are some of the best cheap basketball shoes to check out this 2020.
Reviews of the Best Cheap Basketball Shoes
The Air Overplay IX is ideal for small and power forwards who want a pair of lightweight shoes. It has a padded tongue and collar to keep your feet comfortable throughout the game. You can choose from different colors and designs as well.
The shoes provide ankle support, giving you the stability and power you need to improve your game. It’s made from a blend of synthetic and mesh materials to give it a lightweight and durable feel. The soft Phylon midsole prevents the feet from feeling pressure from the floor or surface.
- rubber outsole and 2.88″ shaft
- lace-up closure offers a comfy fit
- mesh and synthetic construction
- TPU shank increases durability
- padded tongue and collar provides ankle support
- full Phylon midsole offers midfoot cushioning
- Brand: Nike
- Material: Synthetic
- limited availability
The ClutchFit Drive 3 offers the stretch, stability, and comfort you need thanks to Under Armour’s improved ClutchFit 3 Technology, charged cushioning as well as external intershank and heel counter. The shoes have an Achilles pillow that offers greater comfort and padding around your heels.
The rubber sole has excellent traction, so you won’t skid, slip or fall. The shoes can turn impact into energy to provide you with great responsiveness and explosive push-offs during your game.
- UA ClutchFit upper provides a second skin to lock the wear in with a great feel and fit
- shoes support, breathe and stretch better than before thanks to the latest ClutchFit technology
- charged cushioning absorbs and converts impact into responsive comfort
- Brand: Under Armour
- Material: Synthetic
- stable thanks to its intershank and external heel counter
- heel area features Achilles pillow cushions for your comfort
The Cloudfoam Ilation Mid Shoes have a fabric and leather upper that’s extremely lightweight and comfy. Both sides of the shoes have the 3-stripes logo as well as perforations. The rear quarter, tongue, and collar are made from mesh to allow for better airflow.
The shoes will remain secure and snug thanks to its Cloudfoam midsole and sockliner. The rubber outsole offers excellent grip as well, allowing you to take your game to the next level.
- Cloudfoam midsole and sockliner provides lightweight cushioning
- improved breathability thanks to the air mesh rear quarter, tongue and collar
- perforated sides have the 3-stripes logo of Adidas
- Brand: Adidas
- Material: Leather
- rubber outsole provides great traction
- breathable uppers
- perforated sides offer excellent ventilation
- the toe area is a bit narrow for some people
Nike Men’s Air Versitile Ii is ideal for all-around players who need a locked-in feel, comfort, and cushioning when playing. It offers midfoot stability thanks to the Fly wire cables. The heel is made from foam-backed textile, so you feel contained throughout the game.
- rubber outsole has customized herringbone pattern for great traction
- Air-Sole heel offers impact cushioning
- high quality textile material makes the shoes comfortable to wear
- Fly wire cables guarantee lockdown and stability
- Brand: Nike
- Material: Textile & Synthetic
- offers exceptional traction
- Some customers said that the materials feel cheap.
Nike Men’s Prime Hype DF has full length cushioning and exceptional traction outdoors and indoors. It has a plastic synthetic and polyester textile upper, decoupled collar, anatomical outsole, and Flex grooves on the forefoot and heel. The cushioning offers stability, comfort, flexibility, and light movement during exercise. It has a dual-density midsole that provides targeted responsiveness. The hollowed-out Swoosh design on the heel makes it easy for the heel to move independently.
- lightweight, durable and breathable textile and mesh upper
- Flywire cables provide lateral support and dynamic lockdown
- the high-top collar offers a supportive feel and allows natural motion
- first metatarsal head has firm-density foam underneath, offering a responsive feel and propelling the feet forward
- hard-wearing rubber outsole
- the midsole is made from dual-density foam, offering exceptional stability and targeted response
- Brand – Nike
- Material – Synthetic & Mesh
- excellent breathability
- innovative cushioning
- circular outsole pattern allows for quick cuts and easy turns
- rounded outsole maintains contact with the surface
- limited availability
The ClutchFit Drive 2 from Under Armour offers an excellent combination of performance, durability, and comfort. It features a Charged cushioning system, which is more responsive, lighter, and firmer than Under Armour’s previous cushioning system MicroG. The ClutchFit Drive 2 is perfect for guards.
The ClutchFit upper is nice and comfortable for the foot. You won’t have any lockdown or slipping issues, thanks to the stable midsole. The shoe grip surfaces well due to the standard traction pattern.
- ClutchFit upper offers superior fit and feel
- 3D molded tongue forms around the ankle and foot for a great fit
- ClutchFit technology offers excellent support by wrapping your feet with a lightweight and soft second skin
- micro GA sockliner provides cushion
- charged cushioning midsole converts impact to responsive quickness
- Brand: Under Armour
- Material: Synthetic
- available in various colors
- ideal for big players
- great all-around performance
- cushioning could be improved
The Cloudfoam Ilation is a pair of mid-top basketball shoes that feature the iconic Adidas logo. It’s made from fabric and leather, so you are assured that it is durable. The shoes are breathable thanks to their perforated sides. It is also lightweight because of the Cloudfoam sock liner and midsole. Your feet will be completely cushioned throughout the game. The rubber outsole has a strong grip as well, so you don’t need to worry about sliding or slipping.
- flexible and durable leather upper has a matte finish
- soft and comfortable textile lining
- rubber cupsole offers great traction
- Cloudfoam midsole offers superior cushioning and comfort
- Brand – Adidas
- Material – Leather
- lightweight cushioning thanks to its Cloudfoam sock liner and midsole
- air mesh collar, tongue and rear quarter guarantee comfort
- printed and debossed 3-stripes and matte leather give it a modern look
- offers little arch support
The Men’s Lite Racer Running Shoes from Adidas is equipped with Cloudfoam technology, giving the wearer a spongy effect with each step. It has welded 3-stripes and a 2-tone knit upper. The shoes have a lightweight outsole, so it’s comfortable to wear.
- synthetic sole
- comfy textile lining
- 2-tone knit upper
- nubuck overlays made of synthetic material
- Cloudfoam sockliner offers lightweight and comfortable cushioning
- Brand: Adidas
- Material: Synthetic & Mesh
- easy and quick to clean
- breathable mesh upper
- excellent arch support
- sturdy traction sole
- padded collar and tongue
- Some customers complained that the shoes are too narrow.
Reebok Men’s Royal Bb4500 Hi Fashion Sneaker has a durable outsole. The mid-cut shoes offer great ventilation and comfort thanks to its breathable mesh and leather upper. It also bears the classic Reebok logo.
- synthetic sole
- heel measures around 1.25″
- breathable mesh tongue and ankle
- shaft measures around 4.5″ from arch
- the grippy multi-tread outsole features a pivoting disc
- Brand: Reebok
- Material: Leather & Synthetic
- ventilated toebox
- perforated ventilation
- cushioned footbed offers comfort
- Some customers find it too narrow.
The shoes have Cloudfoam cushioning in the footbed and midsole. This provides comfort and stability during clutch moves. The Adiwear outsole offers dual-zone traction, so you don’t need to worry about slipping. The synthetic and mesh leather uppers have the signature 3-stripes logo of Adidas and a debossed toe cap as well.
- rubber sole
- mid-cut and wide fit
- .75″ platform, 0″ to 3″ boot opening and 6″ to 12″ shaft from arch
- Adiwear outsole provides traction and durability
- the ultra-padded footbed has soft massage nubs to help your feet recover
- round toe and lace-up closure
- Cloudfoam midsole offers a comfortable cushion
- textile lining
- Brand: Adidas
- Material: 100% Other Fibers
Best Cheap Basketball Shoes Buying Guide & FAQ
Basketball shoes won’t make you a pro, but it will certainly improve your comfort and performance. Read this guide and learn what you should consider when buying the best cheap basketball shoes.
Kinds of Basketball Shoes
There are 3 kinds of basketball shoes – high-tops, mid-tops and low-tops. Your playing style will determine the right kind of shoes for you.
- High-tops – offer the best stability and ankle support. However, high-tops are usually heavy.
- Mid-tops – provide exceptional ankle support. It’s the most popular option among basketball players.
- Low-tops – the lightest option. It improves your speed, but it offers limited ankle support.
Why Use Basketball Shoes
High amount of traction
If your shoes lack traction, you won’t be able to play well. Traction increases your surface grip capability.
The best basketball shoes offer ample cushioning. It provides great stability throughout your feet, which makes it safer and easier to do stops, cuts and jumps.
Basketball shoes that have a lightweight design can significantly improve your mobility.
The sole flexibility can improve your speed. A flexible sole promotes vertical jumps and lateral movements.
High-top and mid-top shoes are ideal for players who are prone to ankle injuries.
Basketball shoes come in attractive designs. Wearing a good pair of shoes will boost your confidence. Take your gaming experience and performance to a higher level by wearing the best basketball shoes.
What to Look for When Buying the Best Cheap Basketball Shoes
Here are some of the things that you should look for in the best cheap basketball shoes.
Your shoes should be comfortable to wear so that you can concentrate on the game. Uncomfortable shoes can make you lose focus.
Traction determines your acceleration to your best speed, stability in stance, and quickness in cuts. When the shoes don’t provide traction, your power, speed, and agility will be affected. It’s important to have a stable grip when you’re playing.
The tread pattern of outdoor basketball shoes is usually larger and has deeper grooves than indoor shoes to match the rougher and uneven surface of outdoor courts. Indoor basketball shoes, on the other hand, have finer tread patterns to match the polished surface of indoor courts.
Basketball shoes should last for a long time. A pair of durable basketball shoes is a great weapon. If it’s made of sub-par materials, it won’t last long.
This is a combination of comfort and support. It pertains to how the shoes can cling onto your feet. Some lacing systems allow various degrees of lockdown. If the shoes don’t have a proper lockdown, you won’t be comfortable throughout the game, and it will affect your performance.
You also need to know what kind of compound was used on the soles of the shoes. Get a pair of shoes with a rubber compound that provides the best grip. It should have a traction pattern too. The compound thickness of outdoor and indoor basketball shoes is not the same. Indoor shoes have a thinner, softer rubber compound to complement the smooth, polished surface of an indoor court. Outdoor shoes, on the other hand, have a thicker sole to match the rough surface of an outdoor court.
The best basketball shoes are made of different materials. In the past, basketball shoes were made from leather. It’s a durable material, but it is not lightweight. The best basketball shoes can be made from a blend of synthetic materials or mesh to allow for better airflow and leather to protect high abrasion areas. The tongue and forefoot can be made from synthetic materials to offer breathability. The heels and ankles can be made from leather to provide these areas with better support.
Basketball shoes vary in weight. High-top shoes are heavy to provide more stability and support, particularly for the ankles. Mid-top shoes are an all-rounder. Low-top basketball shoes are lightweight and allow for greater maneuverability and speed.
Basketball shoes should offer support on the ankle and the entire foot. This is particularly important for big players.
Tips for Buying and Using the Best Cheap Basketball Shoes
You need to properly break your shoes in. Most basketball shoes won’t feel game-ready right out of the box, so you need several practices to get the shoes accustomed to your feet. Don’t take any short cuts when breaking in a new pair of basketball shoes.
You should also consider the style of the shoes. The style offers different kinds of flexibility, range of movement and support. For instance, mid-tops offer some ankle support and are lighter than high-top basketball shoes. It doesn’t restrict movement.
High-tops are ideal for power players who have a lot of physical contacts and don’t require the agility and speed that speedster players need. Low-top shoes look like regular athletic shoes. It’s designed to be flexible and lightweight and to offer the best traction.
Low-top shoes are ideal for those who do lots of fast directional changes and pivoting. It doesn’t provide as much ankle support as mid-tops. Low-top shoes, however, allow for greater flexibility to boost the player’s agility.
Your play style will help you determine the right pair of shoes for you. Choosing the right basketball shoes can prevent injuries and improve your game as well.
Best Cheap Basketball Shoes FAQ
Do you really need basketball shoes?
If you’re playing basketball, then yes. Using your volleyball or running shoes will not work well for you. Basketball shoes can maximize your comfort when you’re playing basketball.
What’s the best pair of basketball shoes?
The best shoes are the ones that feel best on your feet. Try on different pairs of shoes until you find the right one for you. Even if a certain pair is out of your budget, you should still try it on. Doing so will at least give you an idea about the quality and feel of the shoes.
How can you tell the difference between basketball shoes?
Look at two different pairs of shoes side by side. Both pairs will have a difference in appearance, build quality and materials.
How can you determine the size of your feet?
A Brannock Device is used to measure the size of your feet. The footwear store staff can assist you because they know how to use the device properly.
Do you need basketball socks?
Yes. Basketball socks offer arch support, moisture control and anti-fatigue compression. Using fabric softener on basketball socks is not advised because it hinders the moisture-wicking property of the socks.
Our Top Pick
Our top pick is the Nike Men’s The Air Overplay IX. It is breathable, durable and lightweight. The rubber soles provide security when you are jumping or running. You don’t need to worry about slipping when you are wearing it.