The treadmill is a trendy aerobic workout machine. Besides being a multi-purpose cardio appliance, a treadmill helps you effectively lose weight if that’s the goal. Also, exercising on a treadmill provides health benefits too.
Benefits of Treadmill Exercise
- You can use it all year round.
- It’s much more comfortable than the other gym equipment
- You can watch your TV series while working out on the treadmill.
- The treadmill has handrails, which is great if you’re nursing an injury.
- You can set your workout and start immediately.
- You can monitor your daily workout progress.
- Like many heart-pumping cardio exercises, it can help lessen the danger of heart disease and other serious ailments, boost mood, improve sleep, and stimulate brain function.
Best Treadmill Features
There are significant features that will help you make the best use of your treadmill. While expensive LCD touchscreens and trademarked shock absorption systems are ideal to have, it is recommended that your treadmill must have some of the features below:
- At least one user definite workout system available
- A good motor with adequate horsepower for a velocity of 10km per hour or more
- Power incline (so you don’t come down to change the slope level)
Monitor Your Progress
Most treadmill machines have LED displays that help you monitor your progress during your exercise. If not, make sure to keep a record and jot down all your progress as you go on.
Maintaining a record of your workout also helps you compute how many calories you’re burning every session.
You must research and read as many reviews as you can before considering investing in a machine. Also, get the best recommendation on choosing a treadmill that suits your budget and needs.
Variation Is the Essence of Life
When integrating treadmill workout as a vital part of your routine, ensure that you add changes.
If you keep doing the same routine repeatedly, the number of calories you eliminate will decrease over a period as your body adjusts to the actions. Your muscles become more active, which makes the exercise both convenient and less productive.
Aside from regular changes that keep your system challenged, it will also make your mind interested and help you stay energized. Treadmills exist in almost all gyms, which makes it an excellent choice for all exercise levels. This machine can easily be part of your fitness gym if you like working out at home.
Let’s discuss the basics of how to lose weight on a treadmill and also good exercise programs and tips.
1. High-intensity interval training or (HIIT)
High-intensity interval training (HIIT) includes changing sets of high-intensity workouts and rest.
In the 2017 study, HIIT can be a helpful method of eliminating body fats and getting rid of calories in a short period.
The thing is to exercise extra hard for a short time and rest within the high-intensity gusts of workout. This shed off excess calories, which help lose weight effectively.
Also, after your HIIT workout, your body tries to go back to its regular resting status by melting the body fats for energy.
Here’s to perform HIIT workout on the treadmill:
- Prepare the treadmill, so it’s even. To warm-up, start for 5 minutes of walking at 2mph.
- Jog at 9 – 10mph for half a minute.
- Walk at 3 – 4mph for one minute.
- Repeat 5 -10 times.
- At 2mph, walk for 5 minutes to cool off.
If you want a more advanced exercise, you can interchange among sprinting and jogging. You can add extra minutes to every HIIT set. Your rest break should be twice as long as your high-intensity break.
2. Identify your fat-burning section
During treadmill exercise, working at your fat-melting heartbeat can help encourage weight reduction. This section is where you melt the most calories by minutes.
To identify your fat-melting section, you need to analyze your highest heartbeat first. This is the peak number of times your heart beats during 60 seconds of the workout.
Your highest heartbeat is 220, minus your current age. Like for example, if you’re 40 years old, your most top heart rhythm is 180 beats per minute, so it’s 220 – 40 = 180.
Your fat-melting section is 70% off your highest heartbeat. If your maximum heart rhythm is 180 beats/minute, your fat-melting section is 70% of 180 is 126 beats/minute, or 180 x 0.70 = 126
With this rate, you will distinguish how hard you must exercise to get rid of excess fats. Below is another way on how to lose weight on a treadmill:
- Put the heartbeat monitor on your chest or wrist. Read the treadmill to become even. Start warming up by walking at 2mph for minutes.
- Set the ramp to 2%. Run at 4mph for 60 seconds.
- Jog at 8 – 10mph, or until you arrive in your fat-melting section. Sprint for 15 – 30 minutes at this heartbeat.
- Sprint at 4mph for 60 seconds
- To cool off, you must walk 2mph for 5 minutes.
While 70% is the standard fat-melting zone, everybody is different. Some people might come in the fat-burning section at 55% of their highest heartbeat, while others must reach 80%. It all depends on various aspects like age, sex, workout level, and even medical problems.
Also, you might want to come in the fat-melting section at a lesser treadmill speed. Your coach can help distinguish your perfect rate and heartbeat for maximum weight loss.
3. Escape of a habit
Another effective way on how to lose weight on a treadmill is to change your routine. By learning different exercises, you can:
- Lessen your risk for harm. Having the same training is tiring on your joints. It heightens the danger of abuse injury, which can be a great difficulty.
- Avoid exercise plateau. The more you train for a specific exercise, the less you will see the results. Your body needs something new to improve.
- Prevent dullness. You perhaps want to stick to your activity if you routinely mix up your training.
Here’s an example of an exercise plan, where various treadmill practices are integrated into the steady workout routine:
- Sunday – Rest, Easy Walk, or Yoga
- Monday – Treadmill HIIT workout for around 20 minutes to half an hour.
- Tuesday- Modest treadmill run and strength workout
- Wednesday – Rest, Easy Walk, or Moderate Yoga
- Thursday – Modest treadmill run and strength workout
- Friday – Treadmill HIIT exercise for 20 minutes to half an hour.
- Saturday – Barre class or bodyweight exercise
4. Add hills
Adding hills to your treadmill workout makes it more challenging. Rapidly walking or running at a ramp, melts more calories because your whole body has to work more.
Also, it energizes more muscles, which helps build more toned muscle mass. This aids you to effectively shed off a few pounds, since muscles torches more calories than fats.
If you want to try exercising on a ramp, perform this treadmill cycle:
- Prepare the machine for a flat. Start warming up by walking 2mph for 5 minutes.
- Set the slope to 1%. Run at 4 – 6mph for 60 seconds.
- Increase the ramp by 1% every minute. Repeat until you achieve an 8 – 10% ramp.
- Lessen the slope by 1% every minute. Repeat until you reach 0 to 1% ramp.
- Cool off by walking at 2mph for 5 minutes.
In general, 4 – 6mph is the standard running speed. You can improve the velocity or add a few more minutes to make it more difficult.
For a more straightforward exercise, heighten the ramp by 0.5% per minute. Repeat until reaching a 4 – 5% ramp, then exercise in reverse.
Benefits Beyond Fat Burning
Aside from losing weight, cardio routines like treadmill deliver more health benefits such as:
- regular blood sugar levels
- improve strength
- Intensify muscles
- enhance memory and attention
- boost energy levels
- stimulate your immune system
- promote healthier and glowing skin
- improve HDL (good) blood cholesterol
- elevate sexual arousal
- defend against Alzheimer’s
- alleviate fatigue
- relieve anxiety, depression, and stress
- ease joint constraint
- promote quality sleep
The Bottom Line
As one of the best cardio exercises, using a treadmill is a beneficial way of getting rid of calories and fat burning.
If you’re unsure of what kind of treadmill routine is for you, you can talk to a professional weight loss coach or trainer. They can help you devise your treadmill slimming program.
To get the best results, merge treadmill exercises with muscle-building. Both workouts help you to lose weight on a treadmill effectively, as well as promote overall health.
If you’re considering trying the exercise, or have not trained for a while, discuss with your doctor before starting a new workout routine.